Monday, June 27, 2011

A few miscellaneous photos. During some of the painting last month I wanted to find a cream for the cabin roof. After trying two of the Interlux colours I went with the Epifanes Cream which had to be ordered from Toronto. I think it will do. Eventually the main cabin roof will be painted of course but should wait until everything is attached such as the stay'sl winches and fairleads. Grab rails and other structures are white.

Castings finished being ground and polished.

The 5 coats of varnish on the skylight coaming meant the light could get installed. Bulkhead hanging light from Davey.  You can see the bases for the dinghy chocks being worked on as well. 1/2" pads that have a epoxy fillet raise the chock off the roof. The chocks are attached with three 5/16" machine screws which are tapped into epoxy plugs in the roof. That was there is no way water can infiltrate a screw hole and get to the cedar.

Fitting the 3/8" laminated safety glass and trim rings to the skylight here. 7 coats of varnish and counting...

Drop boards are laminated of 3/16" teak both sides over a 18mm marine ply core. I did this for a few reasons. For one getting teak thick enough for the drop board´s was difficult and very expensive. Re-sawing some teak I had stretched out my supply. Two, I had seen this construction on a Walsted built boat and after 40 some years the drop boards were in perfect shape. Three, they will be stable and not swell and shrink. I laminated as usual with Prefer (Aerodux 500) resorcinol glue.

Boomkin and Boom gallows dry fitted here and ready for last disassemble before attaching permanently. Found some quarter sawn Douglas fir that had the grain at a 45 degree angle so it was edge grain all four sides. It was dense and heavy with no sap wood and extremely tight grain. It took a long time to find the perfect piece of wood for this job.

The boom gallows fittings are from Port Townsend Foundry and are very nice. I filed the holes for larger 3/8" carriage bolts as they are structural for the boomkin as well as acting as mooring line base. The boomkin is also attached through the deck and blocking with two 1/2" bronze carriage bolts at the aft end.

In order to fit the boomkin on a horizontal plane I had to glue two teak pads to the fir which were then shaped to fit the deck. The aft cut on the teak pads follow the rake of the transom. The teak pads also get the much less rot resistant fir off the deck. The boomkin will be paĆ­nted white. There are also two mushroom vents beside the lazarette hatch. I had wanted to have them tucked away a bit better but due to deck beams and blocking etc this was the only place they could go.